875 Haskins Road
Bowling Green Ohio 43402
First Christian Church was organized on November 7, 1882. During the first few months a building located on the corner of Main and Washington Streets, which had been built by the Methodists, and sold to the Congregationalists but was not being used, was rented. In the early part of 1883, the building was purchased by the new congregation. The Official Charter of the congregation was filed on February 1, 1890.
As the congregation grew, plans were made to replace the wooden structure with a larger brick building. This new building was dedication on February 8, 1890.
The continued growth of the congregation made it necessary to plan for a new and larger building. In 1906, the new building was completed and it still stands on the original lot at the corner of Main and Washington Streets. In 1955, it was decided a major renovation was needed to restore the building and enhance its usefulness and beauty. This was accomplished at the cost of approximately $75,000.
During the latter part of the 1960's, the decision was made to relocate. After considerable study, the ground on which the present building stands at the southwest corner of Haskins and Poe Roads, was purchased. The actual construction of the building began in 1972, and it was dedicated on May 5, 1974.
The congregation is affiliated with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and the Ohio Society of Christian Churches. On an Ecumenical level, the congregation is associated with the Bowling Green Ministerial Association, Wood County Area Ministries, the Ohio Council of Churches, the National Council of Churches, and the World Council of Churches.